[Gluster-devel] Snapshot CLI question

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 06:06:44 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 07:14 AM, Paul Cuzner wrote:
> I guess my point about loss of data following a restore boils down to
> the change of brick names that the restore process "forces". I may be
> wrong but doesn't this mean that any  "downstream" monitoring/scripts
> have to adjust their idea of what the volume looked like - it just
> sounds like more work for the admin to me...

 From a Nagios monitoring view, we have an auto discovery plugin that
scans the volumes for any change. So once a volume snapshot is restored,
it will be detected as though new bricks have been added to it (due to
the new brick names) with the older bricks deleted.
What we're currently missing is a mechanism to know that the change in
volume happened due to a snapshot restore.

With regards to monitoring history, we plan to keep the previous
configuration as backup along with any performance data that was
collected on them.