[Gluster-devel] Addition of sub-maintainers

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 03:58:16 UTC 2014

Hi All,

As discussed in the last community meeting [1], we are considering
addition of sub-maintainers to GlusterFS. The intent of this activity is
to streamline our patch management and make it more scalable.

The responsibilities of sub-maintainers would include:

1. Overall patch management of designated components.

2. Ownership of designated components
        - be responsible for overall quality of the components
        - work with upstream release maintainers for ensuring right
content in releases
        - work with the broader community on resolving issues in the
designated components

Avati and me have attempted to arrive at a tentative list of
sub-maintainers. The selection of these folks has been primarily based on:

a> Code contributions to respective areas over a period of time
b> Community interactions
c> Effectiveness in code reviews

Here is the tentative list of sub-maintainers:

|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|component(s)                      |
maintainer(s)                             |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|cli & glusterd                    |    Krishnan Parthasarathy & Kaushal
Madappa  |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|afr & locks                       |    Pranith Kumar
Karampuri                   |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|rpc, rdma, socket                 |    Raghavendra
Gowdappa                      |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|geo-replication, changelog, cdc   |    Venky
Shankar                             |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|quota                             |    Raghavendra
Gowdappa                      |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|
|nfs                               |    Niels de
Vos                              |
|----------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|

By no means this list is exhaustive - this is a first cut and the
selection of components has been on areas where we currently see
significant patch activity. We will continue to identify such areas and
propose new maintainers at appropriate junctures. Me and Avati will
manage patches as before for the overall codebase but our focus could be
on areas that do not have designated sub-maintainers. We will also be
available for any arbitration that might be required.

We plan to perform update gerrit to provide access to sub-maintainers by
end of this week (i.e. 4th May). If you have any objections, concerns or
feedback on this process, please feel free to provide that before then
on this thread or to me in person.

Thanks,
Vijay

[1]