[Gluster-devel] Glusterfs and the new logging framework

Harshavardhana harsha at harshavardhana.net
Mon Apr 28 08:43:56 UTC 2014

> The other question is whether log messages need to be localized - my understanding is that they are mainly intended for dev
> and sys admins who are assumed to know sufficient english to be able to use them. I am not aware of any projects that
> localize logs( but could be wrong so please point me to any you know of). Localizing log messages would make things difficult > for a developer in case s/he is sent ,say,a French log file but does not know French- trying to figure out what went wrong
> would be very difficult.

Localization is necessary when the source code is 'gettextized' in its
entirety i.e we generate list of sources containing strings and
external translators/contributors translate them in their 'Lingua'.
After this process auto-generated ".po" files carry the necessary
translation per project and local environment variables like LANG and
LC_ALL indicate the right set of language sets to use.

IMHO debating about that is too ambitious, it is far longer into
future to get standardized logs which can be translated.

Having standardized meaningful logs is many steps in itself to even
reach the stage of having logs with local translation.

--
Religious confuse piety with mere ritual, the virtuous confuse
regulation with outcome