[Gluster-devel] Fwd: Questions on libgfapi

Muralidhar Balcha muralidharb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 15:33:58 UTC 2013

Thanks Vijay for quick response.

On a related question if multiple vms are created using qemu GlusterFS
block driver on the same volume then volume consistency is assured by the
gluster driver, correct.

Murali Balcha

*From:* Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'vbellur at redhat.com');>>
*Date:* September 20, 2013, 8:58:35 AM EDT
*To:* Murali Balcha <Murali.Balcha at triliodata.com <javascript:_e({},
'cvml', 'Murali.Balcha at triliodata.com');>>
*Cc:* "gluster-devel at nongnu.org <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'gluster-devel at nongnu.org');>" <gluster-devel at nongnu.org <javascript:_e({},
'cvml', 'gluster-devel at nongnu.org');>>
*Subject:* *Re: [Gluster-devel] Questions on libgfapi*

  On 09/20/2013 06:36 AM, Murali Balcha wrote:

Hi,

 I have couple of questions on libgfapi.

 1.Can two or more clients on either same host or different hosts access

single volume thru libgfapi?

Yes, it is possible.

 2.How do clients synchronize access to files? I believe both clients

have their instance of client side translators loaded, right?

Yes, Both clients will have their own instances of client xlators loaded.
GlusterFS/libgfapi has support for advisory posix locking and applications
can make use of that if multiple application instances need to synchronize
access to files. If a replicated gluster volume is used, the afr translator
makes use of a transaction framework to synchronize updates and provide
consistency.

 3.Does it use lk translator for synchronizing access to files?

Yes, the lk translator loaded on the server stack is used for
synchronization.

Regards,
Vijay

--