[Gluster-devel] Questions on libgfapi

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 12:58:35 UTC 2013

On 09/20/2013 06:36 AM, Murali Balcha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have couple of questions on libgfapi.
>
> 1.Can two or more clients on either same host or different hosts access
> single volume thru libgfapi?

Yes, it is possible.

> 2.How do clients synchronize access to files? I believe both clients
> have their instance of client side translators loaded, right?

Yes, Both clients will have their own instances of client xlators
loaded. GlusterFS/libgfapi has support for advisory posix locking and
applications can make use of that if multiple application instances need
to synchronize access to files. If a replicated gluster volume is used,
the afr translator makes use of a transaction framework to synchronize
updates and provide consistency.

> 3.Does it use lk translator for synchronizing access to files?

Yes, the lk translator loaded on the server stack is used for
synchronization.

Regards,
Vijay