[Gluster-devel] Replace cluster wide gluster locks with volume wide locks

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 19:00:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

After having further discussions, we revisited the requirements and it looks possible to further improve them, as well
as the design.

1. We classify all gluster operations in three different classes : Create volume, Delete volume, and volume specific
    operations.
2. At any given point of time, we should allow two simultaneous operations (create, delete or volume specific), as long
    as each both the operations are not happening on the same volume.
3. If two simultaneous operations are performed on the same volume, the operation which manages to acquire the volume
    lock will succeed, while the other will fail.

In order to achieve this, we propose a locking engine, which will receive lock requests from these three types of
operations. Each such request for a particular volume will contest for the same volume lock (based on the volume name
and the node-uuid). For example, a delete volume command for volume1 and a volume status command for volume 1 will
contest for the same lock (comprising of the volume name, and the uuid of the node winning the lock), in which case,
one of these commands will succeed and the other one will not, failing to acquire the lock.

Whereas, if two operations are simultaneously performed on a different volumes they should happen smoothly, as both
these operations would request the locking engine for two different locks, and will succeed in locking them in parallel.

Regards,
Avra

On 09/12/2013 01:18 PM, Kaushal M wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Varun Shastry <vshastry at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 12 September 2013 08:41 AM, Krishnan Parthasarathi wrote:

>>> object. We don't know have the necessary mechanism to select the peers