[Gluster-devel] Glupy bugs: found the solution?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Sat Oct 26 14:33:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 23:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
Ramana Raja <rraja at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Initially, I ran into the same problems as you did. The problem was that Glupy's translators (negative, debug) were not importing Glupy's gluster module, which is the actual python glue, but instead importing Gluster-swift's gluster module :(. So all I had to do was to rename Glupy's gluster module as glupy_gluster and the translators began to work.

Interestingly, I just got time to try this, and it did work:

  $ sudo gluster volume stop playground
  $ sudo systemctl stop glusterd
  $ sudo mv /usr/lib64/glusterfs/3git/xlator/features/glupy/gluster.py /usr/lib64/glusterfs/3git/xlator/features/glupy/gluster_glupy.py
  $ sudo rm /usr/lib64/glusterfs/3git/xlator/features/glupy/gluster.py?
  $ sudo systemctl start glusterd
  $ sudo gluster volume start playground

Then changed helloworld.py from:

  from gluster import *

to:

  from gluster_glupy import *

and Voila, the correct output appears when starting a volume
using the helloworld translator:

  Python xlator: Hello!

> Can you please check if your Glupy translators are importing the Glupy's gluster module, and not something else?
> I did this as follows:
> - Inserted pdb.set_trace() as the first line of negative.py
> - While Pdb-ing, ran "print sys.modules['gluster']" after "from gluster import *" was executed

I haven't used Pdb before, instead I'm using PyCharm (an IDE).  I need
to figure out how to get the debugger in that working with Glupy
translators so I can find out what's being called from where.

Kind of suspecting it might be the libgfapi stuff (not Swift)
getting picked up on my system instead of Glupy.  But really,
I have no idea for sure and could easily be wrong.

> I'll send a patch to Gluster upstream renaming Glupy's gluster module as gluster_glupy by citing module-name conflict issues.

I still feel this isn't the right approach.  Swift is just a component
of an external project, whereas Glupy is a component of our own project.

So, if anything needs renaming it should be the Swift component not
the Glupy one.

Does that make sense? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift