[Gluster-devel] Qemu glusterfs, exposing complete bricks instead of individual images as shared storage to VM's ?

Sander Eikelenboom linux at eikelenboom.it
Fri Nov 29 23:56:26 UTC 2013

Saturday, November 30, 2013, 12:48:44 AM, you wrote:

> Should be possible to specify another block device to QEMU and format that and use a filesystem, however the problem here is that if multiple devices use the same block device, then your filesystem will explode (get corrupted) if you don't plan accordingly. For example, if you did this with ext4, goodbye data, if you did this with GFS2, and had cman properly running, it should probably work, although I haven't tested this specific use case.

> Make sense?

Erhmm well that's why glusterfs is momentarily in between :-)

I have a LVM volume "shared_data" on the host .. which I export as a brick with glusterfs.
Multiple VM's mount this brick over the tcp/ip transport, and all seems to go well with locking.

I have looked at GFS2 and Ceph as well, though glusterfs served me well.
It's just to see if it would be possible to eliminate the use of the tcp/ip transport for
the VM's that use Qemu to reduce that overhead.