[Gluster-devel] fallocate

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Sun Nov 17 09:29:01 UTC 2013

Anand Avati <avati at gluster.org> wrote:

> If you call fallocate() over an existing region with data it shouldn't be
> wiped with 0s. You can also call fallocate() on a hole (in case file was
> ftruncate()ed to a large size) and that region should get "allocated" (i.e
> future write to an fallocated() region should NOT fail with ENOSPC).

fallocate stuff appears both in fuse and posix xlators. I understand the
fuse one is only used if the kernel sends a FALLOCATE FUSE FOP, which
means I can just #ifndef __NetBSD__ it our, since the NetBSD kernel has
no fallocate() system call, and will never issue that FOP. Am I right?

Wild guess: the FALLOCATE FOP is tunnelled thorugh all glusterfs
xlators, and not supporting it in the posix xlator would mean a NetBSD
brick would not be able to honour requests from a Linux client using
that FOP. Am I right?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz