[Gluster-devel] Proposal to change locking in data-self-heal

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue May 21 13:58:46 UTC 2013

On 05/21/2013 09:30 AM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> I am not quite sure if I understood the issue in full detail. But are you
> saying that you "split up" the current self-healing file in 128K chunks
> with locking/unlocking (over the network)? It sounds a bit like the locking
> takes more (cpu) time than the self-healing of the data itself. I mean this
> can be a 10 G link where a complete file could be healed in almost no time,
> even if the file is quite big. Sure WAN is different, but I really would
> like to have at least an option to drop the partial locking completely and
> lock the full file instead.

That's actually how it used to work, which led to many complaints from users
who would see stalls accessing large files (most often VM images) over GigE
while self-heal was in progress.  Many considered it a show-stopper, and the
current "granular self-heal" approach was implemented to address it.  I'm not
sure whether the old behavior is still available as an option.  If not (which
is what I suspect) then you're correct that it might be worth considering as an
enhancement.