[Gluster-devel] rpc problems when using syncops in callbacks

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Wed May 1 07:41:16 UTC 2013

Hi fog,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM, fog - <fog_is_my_name at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Krish,
>
> yes, no deadlock occurs without blocking (... somewhat obviously).
> However, if I can't block I do not gain anything regarding code
> readability. It makes more sense to use the standard STACK_WIND / UNWIND
> pairs instead of creating a syncthread with a callback function.

This comment made me think what are the advantages of syncop framework over
STACK_WIND/UNWIND framework (even when you are using synctask_new in
non-blocking mode by providing a cbk). After discussion with Avati, it
became clear that the actual benefit is not really whether synctask_new is
blocking or non-blocking. It is actually that you can do synchronous
operations in your synctask (or to put it crudely in your function that you
pass as an argument to synctask). Some of these operations are already
implemented in the form of synchronous fops (like syncop_lookup etc). But
the core benefit of syncop framework is that you can "yield" (from
executing your task's code to execute a different task's code) and "wake"
the thread at any point in your code. This more fine grained "control"
(which is basically continuations) is lacking in STACK_WIND/UNWIND
framework.

Raghavendra G