[Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 03:35:26 UTC 2013

(removed lists other than gluster-devel to avoid spamming too widely)

On 03/28/2013 03:43 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> FWIW, I was able to re-run my test in between stuff related to That
> Other Problem.  What seems to be happening is that we read correctly
> until just after d_off 0x4000000000000000, then we suddenly wrap
> around - not to the very first d_off we saw, but to a pretty early
> one (e.g. 0x0041b6340689a32e).  This is all on a single brick, BTW,
> so it's pretty easy to line up the back-end and front-end d_off
> values which match perfectly up to this point.

I've just submitted a version of the patch that passes basic tests on
both one- and two-brick configurations, under both native protocol and
NFS.  The core problem seemed to be the calculation of max_bits, but
there were a few other issues with bits at the top or bottom being
preserved or masked off when they shouldn't have been (about what always
happens with this kind of code).  If anyone thinks I've made things less
readable, please let me know on Gerrit; I find this version easier to
follow, but such things are very much a matter of personal taste and IMO
the majority should rule.

http://review.gluster.org/#change,4711