[Gluster-devel] glusterd vs glusterfs-server

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 16:30:28 UTC 2013

On 03/27/2013 11:16 AM, Jay Vyas wrote:
> 1) What are the "rm -rf" incantations I can do to completely purge
> any trace of gluster from my system so that i can start over?

When I really want to remove all traces of GlusterFS from a system,
short of reinstalling, I do this:

	killall -9 -r gluster
	yum remove $(rpm -qa | grep gluster)
	rm -rf /var/lib/glusterd
	rm -rf /etc/glusterfs

> 2) What is the difference bettwen glusterd and glusterfs-server?

There are several kinds of GlusterFS server daemons, all part of the
glusterfs-server package:

	glusterd = management daemon
	glusterfsd = per-brick daemon
	glustershd = self-heal daemon
	glusterfs = usually client-side, but also NFS on servers

The others are all started from glusterd, in response to volume start
and stop commands.  They're actually all the same executable with
different translators, but there's generally no reason to care about that.

> 3) Do I have to separately install glusterfs-server ?  I don't see
> it any where grepping through the source code.

If you want a system to be a server (even if it's a client as well) you
need to install glusterfs-server.

> 4) Does starting glusterd lead to the startup of glusterfs-server?

When glusterd starts up, it spawns any daemons that "should" be running
(according to which volumes are started, which have NFS or replication
enabled, etc.) and seem to be missing.