[Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope

Anand Babu Periasamy abperiasamy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:28:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Joe Julian <joe at julianfamily.org> wrote:

> Anand Babu Periasamy <abperiasamy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>our
>>>
>>> How do you propose to solve the bootstrap problem?  How do we choose
>>> which subset of all servers would have pieces of this meta-volume?
>>> How do we coordinate its expansion, or detect and respond to failures
>>of
>>> itscomponents?
>>
>>Admin declares the config servers manually. Automatic option is a
>>disaster waiting to happen.
>>
>>We should set the minimum number of config servers required by default
>>to 3, so that we can enforce quorum. Any failure would require the
>>admin to declare replacement config servers manually.
>
> On that note, the additional quorum functionality should be implemented with regard to watchers before using a glusterfs store for configuration coordination.
>
> From what I've been reading, the biggest thing zookeeper has over any other solution is its robustness with regard to split-brain. If that was managed it seems like that would open up a number of possibilities to satisfy the other requirements.

Exactly. Even ZooKeeper requires min 3 servers and odd number of
servers there after. For example of you have 4 servers, it will still
handle only one node failure. With 2 node failures, it cannot elect
majority. Where ever we go, we will have similar issues. We need to
solve these issues for our sync-replication in any case.

--
-ab

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein