[Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 12:59:32 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 11:59 PM, Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:
> gluster meta-volume + zeromq for notification (pub/sub) will solve our
> problems largely and still be light weight.  In a large scale
> deployment, it is not a good idea to declare all the servers as
> coordination servers. Since meta-volume is a regular distributed
> replicated gluster volume, it can always be expanded later depending
> on the load and availability requirements.

How do you propose to solve the bootstrap problem?  How do we choose
which subset of all servers would have pieces of this meta-volume?  How
do we coordinate its expansion, or detect and respond to failures of
itscomponents?  What issues does 0MQ introduce with respect to daemons
or network capabilities?  It would be nice to have two or more proposals
that have been been thought through to approximately the same level of
detail (which isn't all that high really).  Otherwise we can't really
make rational comparisons and choices.  Every approach to any
non-trivial problem has its pitfalls.  If we don't look for them we risk
choosing an approach with problems which are merely less obvious but no
less severe.