[Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Mar 24 23:13:18 UTC 2013

On 03/24/2013 07:03 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> On 03/24/2013 04:43 AM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>> So the automated distribution of the vol-files does not help
>> the majority at all.
>
> It's not just about distribution of volfiles.  It's also about ensuring
> their consistency across many servers and clients, and handling dynamic
> updates.  For dynamic configuration changes without reboots or even

The finance guys get good milage out of zeromq and other messaging
infrastructures.  You might want pub-sub or reliable multicast rather
than re-inventing your own.

Specifically, have a good look at http://linux.die.net/man/7/zmq_epgm

> remounts, you either need glusterd or you need to reinvent a good
> portion of it.  Even you should be able to appreciate the value of that,
> since dynamic configuration speeds the tuning process.  Then there are a
> whole bunch of other features that I mentioned in my last reply, which
> you should read this time before rushing to give the broken record
> another spin.
>
>> you just
>> said you cannot solve this by yourself and want to drop it on external
>> know-how
>
> Nobody said anything of the sort.  We *can* solve it for ourselves, but
> there's no reason we should expend our own resources to solve the parts
> of the problem that are already well solved elsewhere.  There's no

+1 for good software engineering practice.  Don't repeat {yourself|others}

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com