[Gluster-devel] RFC - "Connection Groups" concept

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Jun 27 14:09:10 UTC 2013

On 27/06/2013, at 2:37 PM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:04:07 -0400
> Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> [Jeff on UUIDs]
>
> I generally vote against using UUIDs and for IPs.
> In runtime I can easily switch an IP in a replacement situation, but can I
> switch a UUID in the same easy manner?
> Sometimes you want replacement _without_ volume reconfiguration.

That's a good point.  If we do go with using UUID's as the sole
representation internally, it might make sense to allow SysAdmins
to manipulate UUID's in useful ways.

Through the CLI, it could be something like this:

  gluster1> $ sudo gluster peer updateuuid mypeername NEW-UUID-VALUE
  peer alias update: success

BUT... I don't yet understand the failure modes that people have
mentioned around UUID's, so that's just an off-the-cuff thought
rather than a deeply-thought-out-with-appropriate-wisdom one. :)

+ Justin