[Gluster-devel] Gluster CLI for setting options for glusterd.vol

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 10:20:54 UTC 2013

On 06/19/2013 09:51 PM, M. Mohan Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When qemu is invoked by a non-root user with -drive
> file=gluster://server/volname/imagename option, unprivileged port is
> used for gluster rpc and by default glusterd and gluster brick process
> deny the request if the request is from a unprivileged port. The option
> "rpc-auth-allow-insecure" needs to be enabled in glusterd.vol so that
> non privileged ports can be used to access Gluster volumes.
>
> In a typical environment VDSM might want to enable rpc-auth-allow-insecure
> option and the administrator has to edit the glusterd.vol manually and
> restart glusterd process.
>
> CLI options available to enable volume specific options to work with
> unprivileged ports by using gluster volume set <volname> <option>
> <value>. For example per volume server.allow-insecure option can be
> enabled so that unprivileged users can mount a GlusterFS volume.
>
> But as of now there is no CLI option available to set glusterd.vol
> options. How about adding a gluster CLI set option to configure
> glusterd.vol options? Can following CLI command line 'gluster volume set
> all <glusterd.option> <value>" be used for setting glusterd options?
> IIUC "all" is a reserved volume name and we can use this reserved name
> for setting glusterd option.

'volume set all' is mostly used for options that are applicable to all
volumes. Since glusterd options are beyond the scope of a volume, tying
them to the peer entity might be a good idea. We can introduce 'peer set
all <key> <value>' which sets a particular option on all peers.

> IIUC glusterd.info file can be used to store about these parameters
> similar to how volume specific options are stored in vols/<volname>/info
> file?

We can persist this in glusterd.vol referred by the respective glusterd
instance.

-Vijay