[Gluster-devel] unable to submit patch set

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Jun 3 16:40:25 UTC 2013

On 06/03/2013 09:00 AM, Balamurugan Arumugam wrote:
> My patch submission got rejected.  Below is the output
>
> [bala at barumuga glusterfs.git.gerrit]$ git push origin
> HEAD:refs/for/master/bug-928648 Counting objects: 31, done. Delta
> compression using up to 4 threads. Compressing objects: 100% (22/22), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (22/22), 6.80 KiB, done. Total 22 (delta 13), reused 0
> (delta 0) remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (13/13) remote: Processing changes:
> refs: 1, done To ssh://bala@review.gluster.org/glusterfs.git ! [remote
> rejected] HEAD -> refs/for/master/bug-928648 (no changes made) error: failed
> to push some refs to 'ssh://bala@review.gluster.org/glusterfs.git'
> [bala at barumuga glusterfs.git.gerrit]$
>

> I see the error message is correct that the first patch in the set has no
> change whereas rest of the patches are changed.  Could someone help me how
> to submit the patch set?

I saw some of this when I was fixing the build/test failures from Friday's
patch storm.  I worked around it by making some spurious commit-message
changes, but I don't recommend that as a general approach.  If I recall,
another solution is:

(1) Save all of the patches that *have* changed.

(2) Switch to a new branch.

(3) Reset to the last commit that has *not* changed.  Yes, "git reset" works
even for a commit that's not already in your current branch.

(4) Re-apply your changed patches.

(5) Run rfc.sh with DRY_RUN set to see the "git push" command you'll want.

(6) Push manually, bypassing some of the rfc.sh stuff that will put you back
into the broken state.