[Gluster-devel] RPM re-structuring

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 19:19:27 UTC 2013

>>         Another model can be:
>>
>>         0. glusterfs-libs.rpm - libglusterfs.so libgfrpc.so libgfxdr.so
>>         1. glusterfs (depends on glusterfs-libs) - glusterfsd binary,
>>         glusterfs
>>         symlink, all common xlators
>>         2. glusterfs-rdma (depends on glusterfs) - rdma shared library
>>         3. glusterfs-geo-replication (depends on glusterfs) - geo-rep
>>         related
>>         objects
>>         4. glusterfs-fuse (depends on glusterfs) - fuse xlator,
>>         mount.glusterfs
>>         5. glusterfs-server (depends on glusterfs) - server side
>>         xlators, config
>>         files
>>         6. glusterfs-api (depends on glusterfs-libs) - libgfapi.so and
>>         api.so
>>         7. glusterfs-resource-agents (depends on glusterfs)
>>         8. glusterfs-devel (depends on glusterfs-libs) - header files for
>>         libglusterfs
>>         9. glusterfs-api-devel (depends on glusterfs-api) - header files
>>         for gfapi
>>
>>         This way qemu will only pick up libgfapi.so libglusterfs.so
>>         libgfrpc.so
>>         and libgfxdr.so (the bare minimum to "just execute") for the
>>         binary to
>>         load at run time. Those who want to store vm images natively on
>>         gluster
>>         must also do a 'yum install glusterfs' to make gfapi 'useful'.
>>         This way
>>         Fedora qemu users who do not plan to use gluster will not get
>>         any of the
>>         xlator cruft.
>>

>>     I like the idea about users of qemu not having to do with
>>     non-required glusterfs cruft but with this model we still have
>>     glusterfsd binary being pulled in for consumers who want libgfapi
>> alone.
>>

>> How? libgfapi depends only on glusterfs-libs. Whereas glusterfsd is in
>> glusterfs rpm.
>>

> In the scenario when somebody tries to use the gluster client xlators via
> libgfapi, we would end up installing glusterfsd still. Do we really need
> that to happen?

Isn't the concern that someone who is not interested in using glusterfs is
now forced into removing qemu, libvirt and the whole virt shebang when
trying to uninstall glusterfs rpm? glusterfsd coming along when common
xlators (client xlators) are installed is probably not a big deal.. That
would happen only for users who are interested in glusterfs anyways.

Avati