[Gluster-devel] RPM re-structuring

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sun Jul 28 18:18:32 UTC 2013

Hi All,

There was a recent thread on fedora-devel about bloated glusterfs
dependency for qemu:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-July/186484.html

As of today, we have the following packages and respective primary
constituents:

  1. glusterfs                 - contains all the common xlators,
libglusterfs, glusterfsd binary & glusterfs symlink to glusterfsd.
  2. glusterfs-rdma            - rdma shared library
  3. glusterfs-geo-replication - geo-rep related objects
  4. glusterfs-fuse            - fuse xlator
  5. glusterfs-server          - server side xlators, config files
  6. glusterfs-api             - libgfapi shared library
  7. glusterfs-resource-agents - OCF resource agents
  8. glusterfs-devel           - Header files for libglusterfs
  9. glusterfs-api-devel       - Header files for gfapi

As far as qemu is concerned, qemu depends on glusterfs-api which in turn
is dependent on glusterfs. Much of the apparent bloat is coming from
glusterfs package and one proposal for reducing the dependency footprint
of consumers of libgfapi could be the following:

a) Move glusterfsd and glusterfs symlink from 'glusterfs' to
'glusterfs-server'
b) Package glusterfsd binary and glusterfs symlink in 'glusterfs-fuse'
c) Kaleb mentioned about removing geo-replication objects from
'glusterfs' and having them in 'glusterfs-geo-replication' only. I think
that might help unless we are breaking something in geo-replication by
doing so. Do we remember the original intent behind packaging
geo-replication objects in the 'glusterfs' package?
d) Remove mac-compat.so, rot-13.so, symlink-cache.so from 'glusterfs'.
As practically nobody uses these translators today, I don't see much
value in packaging them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Vijay