[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS QEMU libgfapi

Wido den Hollander wido at widodh.nl
Mon Jul 22 10:57:40 UTC 2013

Hi John,

On 07/21/2013 03:32 PM, John Mark Walker wrote:
> Greetings, CloudStackers. I noticed there was a question re: libgfapi as it pertains to libvirt and QEMU.
>
> As of last January/February, all new versions of the KVM/QEMU/libvirt/oVirt virtualization stack have been "glusterized" and use the libgfapi client library when you specify the gluster protocol in QEMU.

I noticed, but there is one side note. Libvirt doesn't support libgfapi
storage pools: http://www.libvirt.org/storage.html

Do not assume the "Network Filesystem Pool" uses libgfapi, since that
simply runs "mount" with glusterfs as the filesystem type.

Right now CloudStack leans on libvirt to manage it's storage pools.
Marcus Sorensen correctly noted that we don't HAVE to use libvirt for
the storage pool management, but I do prefer to do so.

GlusterFS is a RedHat thing just like libvirt, so I'd like to see
libgfapi storage pool support implemented in libvirt.

There are more things standing out in libvirt though what should be
fixed, which makes sense now. I ran into this when implementing RBD
support:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-February/msg00503.html

If that would be implemented both the RBD (Ceph) and libgfapi could
leverage from that.

> You can see this old presentation here that goes over some of these topics: http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/images/9/9d/QEMU_GlusterFS.pdf
>
> That presentation is almost a year old and much of what was listed as in-progress is now in an official release.
>
> What this integration means for you is that you should be able to spin up and manage VM images on Gluster volumes directly through libgfapi, which bypasses the fuse mount. This is especially useful for use cases such as VM image hosting, and the performance gains are pretty dramatic.

So yes, that would be possible, but for CloudStack (and probably other
projects) it would be very useful if we could let libvirt do all the
storage handling.

Wido