[Gluster-devel] Snapshot backend (was Re: EAGAIN/EBUSY handling in glusterfs)

Amar Tumballi amarts at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 05:16:27 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 12:03 AM, Joe Julian wrote:

> On 01/23/2013 01:34 AM, Shishir Gowda wrote:
>> One of the possible scenarios is someone taking a lvm snap of the
>> backend.
> As an aside, lvm snapshots are good for one-off temporary saves, but are
> completely useless as an interval snapshot. Each one takes up a ton of
> ram and increase boot-up times very significantly. I would recommend
> focusing on btrfs for any snapshotting backend.

One of the idea is to keep the backend options for taking the snapshot
configurable, so people can use their choice of snapshots. Our main
focus is to get the changes required in gluster{fs,fsd,d} side of things
so we have an option to be given for people wanting to use snapshots.

Main focus of first release would be get the co-ordinated cluster
snapshot working, so in phase2 we will work on approving it on top of
other snapshot options.

Regards,
Amar