[Gluster-devel] Client side translators doubt

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 19:51:39 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 02:21 PM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> rename ".glusterfs" in ".glusterfs-<brickname>" in source

Changing something from a constant to a context-dependent variable is a
bit more complicated than that.  There are nine places where this path
is used as HIDDEN_PATH, ten where it's used as HANDLE_PFX, and a couple
of others.  All of those would have to change, plus we'd have to add
code to ensure uniqueness of brick names, etc.  It's orders of magnitude
less work than putting something in the kernel (for example), but at the
same time it's more than a single change and recompile . . . all to
avoid creating a couple of subdirectories.  That seems like a rather
poor use of everyone's time.

> make ".glusterfs" a dir and store brick-private information in a file
> <brickname> and global (shared) information in a file "global".

Maybe you should look at what's already in there and how it's used
before you assume that it could (or should) all be contained in two
plain files.  Neither anonymous file handles nor the index translator
fit such a model.