[Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Wed Feb 13 22:40:28 UTC 2013

As an observer who can't really contribute to this issue from a coding
standpoint, I can only look at the philosophies that come from Linus
with regard to kernel vs user. From my understanding of Linus' viewpoint
on the subject:

"If a change results in user programs breaking, it's a bug in the
kernel. We never EVER blame the user programs."

Seems to me, then, that what should have happened is an option should have been made available to allow the 64 bit cookie as an option.