[Gluster-devel] Master-master geo-replication

Tomas Bures bures at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Dec 28 13:00:54 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I would like to ask if there are any plans for master-master
geo-replication (i.e. asynchronous bi-directional replication)? I've
seen it in the initial feature list for 3.4. As fas as I understand, it
was then removed. It did not appear in features for 3.5.

If the completely asychronous bi-directional replication is too
difficult, I would see as an option to use normal replication. For
instance for CMS deployment (e.g. Drupal), writes are really scarce and
reads can be served from the local replica, which means, it should be
possible to use this even in multi-site deployment with relatively high
latencies between the sites. A problem though is that lookup (in
xlators/cluster/afr) queries all bricks, which means that when opening a
file for reading, one incurs the latency penalty. So here comes my
second question - would it be possible to have the lookup served only
locally? Of course, I'm not sure what it would do with ensuring the
consistency and self-healing.

Thank you. Best,
Tomas

--