[Gluster-devel] Glusterfs Snapshot feature

Rajesh Joseph rjoseph at redhat.com
Mon Dec 23 03:48:24 UTC 2013

Thanks Paul for going through the Snapshot design wiki and providing your valuable inputs. The wiki needs lot of update. I will update it soon and circulate it here again.

The cli status and list commands will provide space consumption by the snapshot. Snapshot scheduler is planned for phase 2. I will update the document with details of phase I and phase II.

As of now auto-delete feature is based on maximum allowed snapshot count. Admins can set a limit on number of snapshots allowed per volume. More details will be provided in the wiki.

We still have to iron out details of Replica-3 and quorum support, but the intention of providing the feature is to allow admins to take snapshots even some bricks are down without compromising the integrity of the volume.

When snapshot count reaches the maximum limit then an auto-delete is triggered. Before deletion the snapshot is stopped and then it is deleted.

User serviceable snapshots is planning in phase II and yes .snap directory will list in accordance with snap time-stamp.

Snapshot can be restored only when the volume is stopped. It is a completely offline activity. More details will be provided in the wiki.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajesh