[Gluster-devel] how to distinguish whether the current xlator is used in the client or the server?

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 06:29:24 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 03:12 PM, Mingfan Lu wrote:
> 1. use option is a good idea
> 2. we could also traverse the this->children to see whether there is a
> xlator with type == protocol/client  (depth first!)
>     and save cache value in conf->use_with_client

Works for now. However, if new translators are introduced that actually
perform chaining on the server side, this method will not be good
enough. For e.g., a translator chain like this is possible

Server1                              Server2

xlator

  protocol/client  ------------------ protocol/server

Work in progress translators like NSR[1] will possibly use such a scheme.

-Vijay

[1] https://forge.gluster.org/new-style-replication/nsr