[Gluster-devel] Fwd: Snapshot feature design review

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 03:58:40 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 09:52 PM, Nagaprasad Sathyanarayana wrote:

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> The design document has been updated, and we have tried to address
>>> all the review comments and design issues to the best of our ability.
>>>
>>> Please review the design and the document when possible.
>>>
>>> The design document can be found @
>>> https://forge.gluster.org/snapshot/pages/Home
>>>
>>> Please feel free to critique/comment.

Belated feedback on the CLI. CLI does seem to have a lot of hyphen/dash
options. This is something that we have avoided in gluster so far.
Conforming to the same design principle would be nice to have.

The only reason why a hyphenated option seems necessary is due to the
consistency groups. It would be better to treat consistency-group as a
first class entity and have a separate mechanism to define that. For e.g.:

#gluster consistency-group create <name>

#gluster consistency-group add <vol1,vol2,...volN>

#gluster consistency-group del <vol1...volN>

Once this is accomplished, we can avoid using the hyphenated options and
distinguish between single volume snapshots and consistency-group
snapshots by using a keyword for consistency groups.

For e.g., creation of a snapshot can be structured as:

#gluster snapshot create [consistency-group] <name> [<description>]

Other snapshot commands can be structured on similar lines.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Vijay