[Gluster-devel] Gluster driver for Archipelago - Development process

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 17:54:19 UTC 2013

On 12/06/2013 07:46 PM, Alex Pyrgiotis wrote:

Alex: Thanks for this very detailed mail. It makes things quite clear to me.

> Summing up:
>
> My opinion is that persistent locking is of secondary importance, as it
> can be handled in application level. Async open with O_CREAT on the
> other hand isn't.
>
> Thus, I propose for the first phase to make the open() call non-blocking
> and possibly add the O_CREAT flag. For our part, we can benchmark the
> performance of the current driver and measure it against any
> improvements that occur along the road.
>
> For the second phase, we can work out a persistent locking scheme that
> would benefit both parties.
>
> Finally, the third phase can revolve around making the rest of the
> blocking calls non-blocking.
>
> So, what do you think?

Agree with you here. We can knock off things in the order that you
mention. We will start working on the non-blocking open() implementation
and let you folks know when it is ready. We can then pick up subsequent
integration activities.

Thanks,
Vijay