[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Gluster Community Weekly Meeting

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 14:23:51 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Niels - do you have any thoughts here?
>
> I was thinking of using virt-builder[1] which is already part of Fedora.

Vagrant was supposed to be:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/ChangeSet#Vagrant Maybe you
know the official status?

In the meantime, I've written an article on how to get it going. I've
done the hard work of figuring it out, so it's pretty easy if you
follow my steps:
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/vagrant-on-fedora-with-libvirt/

> Personally I would stick with the Fedora tools, and not use yet
> something else again. However, I'm more than happy if James builds and
> publishes one or more VMs for the test days, of course he is free to use
> whatever tools he likes :-)

Phew ;)

> The images should be minimal, and I do not expect them to be bigger than
> 512MB when compressed. Best would be to host them on the
> download.gluster.org server, at the same location of the packages.
>
> Niels
>
> 1. http://libguestfs.org/virt-builder.1.html

I think we're mixing up tools here. What is the goal of this?

I'm a big fan of guestfish and RWM Jones's tools, but Virt-builder and
Vagrant have different use cases.

Virt-builder is good for building an OS from scratch, configuring it,
and having it available to boot and use. You _can't_ easily iterate
different test environments from a clean image without distributing
that many different os images. Afaik, it only works with one machine
at a time. The equivalent of this in "ruby land" is Veewee.

Vagrant on the other hand is great at iterating different test
environments, with multiple machines running together. All you need to
do is publish one base image, and a Vagrantfile, and you'll have the
tools locally to bring up multiple different clusters and test each
one. Want to start over from scratch, you can do so in 30 seconds. I'm
not sure if there is an alternate tool that does this.

>From my point of view, I'm going to be doing the Vagrant stuff
anyways. I'll be publishing the code as usual, but I won't have
anywhere to host images. If Gluster/RedHat wants to host this
somewhere, others are welcome to use it.

Niles can also work on the virt-builder stuff if he likes, but the
usefulness will depend on the intended use case.

Cheers,
James