[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 4.0 plan

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 18:22:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Jeffrey Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Here is a working draft of the plan for 4.0. It has pretty significant
> > changes from the current model. Sending it out for early review/feedback.
> > Further revisions will follow over time.
>
> > https://gist.github.com/avati/af04f1030dcf52e16535#file-plan-md
>

> Because I like inline comments for document collaboration and neither gist
> nor etherpad have the right kind of support, I've created a Google Docs
> version here.
>
>     http://goo.gl/qLw3Vz
>
> That's the public edit link; at this point others should be able to
> *comment* but not edit the existing text.  Avati/Vijay, I'll gladly add
> you as editors if you have Google accounts (or of course you're free to
> make a copy).  I've added a bunch of my own comments already to get
> discussions started.  >;-}

The topics mentioned are really nice to have for 4.0, but would be great to
define what is our target, fixed time or fixed features.

At the moment, i see categories in there:

-> Filesystem related
  o Thinnified client (ie, implement a multipath xlator)
  o Sharding xlator
-> Mgmt related:
  o Everything glusterd
-> Some overlaps:
  o EHT: If glusterd is scalable to 10k nodes, then EHT becomes important
(so in terms of time, this should come along with glusterd changes).

As Jeff says, Thinnified client should be our absolute goal for 4.0, and
everything else as a EXPERIMENTAL (considering the sheer amount of work
going to be involved in there). With this, i would like to propose a time
bound approach (say late July 2014 (7 more months)) for branching 4.0, and
another 2 more months for stress testing it and stabilizing.

Let me know thoughts.

-Amar