[Gluster-devel] Proposal for 3.5: Make adding custom translators easy

Anand Babu Periasamy abperiasamy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:51:35 UTC 2013

We have had this discussion during our management framework and GUI design
sessions. My suggestion is to separate the management framework in to a
glusterd like daemon running on each node. They expose RESTful APIs. Client
can be implemented in python like higher level scripting languages. RESTful
APIs should also implement storage management (LVM, mkfs, RAID...), network
management and other related node level commands. Next question is, does it
make sense to leverage any other existing project for management framework
or keep it limited to gluster operations alone. Unlike oVirt based
management framework currently in development, I would like to see
something simpler and light weight. No Java or JBoss dependency please :).

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 16/08/2013, at 8:11 PM, Harshavardhana wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > As a separate project, any thoughts on us replacing the current CLI with
> > a new one, based upon having a more complete RESTful API + a new CLI that
> > does nothing but be an interface to it?
> >
> > In that case CLI can be completely re-written in python or any other
> language. This would eventually bring in more contributors to the project.
>
> That's a very good point. :)
>
> I'd only been thinking of it from the point of view of giving
> us a "full" RESTful API that's equivalent to the CLI.  So
> people could do some very in depth automation and integration
> with it.
>
> But having the CLI as Python does sound like it would be much
> easier to develop + get contributors for too.
>
> Proposal for 3.6 maybe? :)
>
> + Justin
>
> --
> Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat
>
> twitter.com/realjustinclift

-ab

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein