[Gluster-devel] Proposal for 3.5: Make adding custom translators easy

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Aug 15 18:33:06 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 07:40 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 15/08/2013, at 5:51 AM, Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:
>> Here are some more points to consider:
>>
>>   * gluster-devel package should include all the necessary header and
>> library files to compile a standalone glusterfs translator.
>
> That definitely makes sense. :)

We already have that in the RPMs, but not in the .debs though AFAIK.

>>   * Modular GlusterFS CLI API. Today it is hard-coded.
>
> Not so sure about this one.  Allowing for dynamic additions to
> the CLI (eg using the meta-data in the JSON fragment) sounds like
> a feature of it's own.

Not just the CLI, don't forget we have a GUI too, with its own RESTful API.

As for the CLI, I had half imagined that each translator came with one
or two shared libs besides the translator itself, which are pluggable
extensions to gluster, glusterd, and/or xlators/mgmt/glusterd. The
retooling of gluster and glusterd to handle these seems like a fairly
large task all by itself.

--

Kaleb