[Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: New test framework

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 12:36:42 UTC 2013

On 14/08/2013, at 7:43 AM, Anand Avati wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Thanks for firing up this thread. Are there notable projects which use these frameworks?

Autotest is used by the Linux kernel (its main claim to
fame), and is also used by KVM.

STAF seems to have originally been an IBM internal
project that was open sourced.  Seems to have been around
for years.

Haven't yet looked at further alternatives, as I was
mostly expecting Autotest to be ok.  Wrongly it turns out. :(

It would be wise to do some proper investigation/shortlisting
of potential frameworks before immediately jumping into
an investigation of STAF.

> Do you have any info on what other distributed storage projects use for their automated testing?

The Ceph project used Autotest some time ago as well, but
it didn't meet their needs so they created their own:

  Teuthology
  https://github.com/ceph/teuthology

  Their historical Autotest stuff
  https://github.com/ceph/autotest
  https://github.com/ceph/ceph-autotests

I looked over Teuthology quickly, and it seems decent but it's very
Ceph oriented/optimised.  Not a general purpose thing we could pick
up and use without extensive modification. :(

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat