[Gluster-devel] RPM re-structuring

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 09:27:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Deepak C Shetty <
deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>  On 08/14/2013 02:23 PM, Anand Avati wrote:
>

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Deepak C Shetty <
> deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 08/14/2013 01:37 PM, Anand Avati wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Deepak C Shetty <
>> deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>>>  Does that mean glusterfsd is in glusterfs-server or glusterfs-fuse? It
>>> is probably sufficient to leave glusterfs-fuse just have fuse.so and
>>> mount.glusterfs.in
>>>
>>>  Another model can be:
>>>
>>>  0. glusterfs-libs.rpm - libglusterfs.so libgfrpc.so libgfxdr.so
>>> 1. glusterfs (depends on glusterfs-libs) - glusterfsd binary, glusterfs
>>> symlink, all common xlators
>>> 2. glusterfs-rdma (depends on glusterfs) - rdma shared library
>>> 3. glusterfs-geo-replication (depends on glusterfs) - geo-rep related
>>> objects
>>> 4. glusterfs-fuse (depends on glusterfs) - fuse xlator, mount.glusterfs
>>> 5. glusterfs-server (depends on glusterfs) - server side xlators, config
>>> files
>>> 6. glusterfs-api (depends on glusterfs-libs) - libgfapi.so and api.so
>>> 7. glusterfs-resource-agents (depends on glusterfs)
>>> 8. glusterfs-devel (depends on glusterfs-libs) - header files for
>>> libglusterfs
>>> 9. glusterfs-api-devel (depends on glusterfs-api) - header files for
>>> gfapi
>>>
>>>  This way qemu will only pick up libgfapi.so libglusterfs.so
>>> libgfrpc.so and libgfxdr.so (the bare minimum to "just execute") for the
>>> binary to load at run time. Those who want to store vm images natively on
>>> gluster must also do a 'yum install glusterfs' to make gfapi 'useful'. This
>>> way Fedora qemu users who do not plan to use gluster will not get any of
>>> the xlator cruft.
>>>

>>>  Looks like even after the re-packaging.. the original problem is still
>>> there !
>>> Post re-strucuring ( i am on F19 with updates-testing repo enabled)
>>>
>>> gluserfs-api has dep on -libs and glusterfs
>>> So when User install glusterfs-api, it pulls in -libs and glusterfs
>>>
>>> This is correct, since w/o glusterfs rpm we won't have a working qemu
>>> gluster backend.
>>>

>>  Actually this *wasnt* what we discussed. glusterfs-api was supposed to
>> depend on glusterfs-libs *ONLY*. This is because it has a linking (hard)
>> relationship with glusterfs-libs, and glusterfs.rpm is only a run-time
>> dependency - everything here is dlopen()ed.
>>

>>>  Just allowing qemu to execute by way of installing-libs and -api only
>>> won't help, since once qemu executes and someone tries qemu w/ gluster
>>> backend.. things will fail unless User has installed glusterfs rpm (which
>>> has all the client xlators)
>>>

>>  I think this was exactly what we concluded. That a user would need to
>> install glusterfs rpm if they wanted to store VM images on gluster
>> (independent of the fact that qemu was linked with glusterfs-api). Do you
>> see a problem with this?
>>

>>   Putting a User's hat.. i think its a problem.
>> IIUC What you are saying is that User must be aware that he/she needs to
>> install glusterfs in order to use qemu gluster backend. User may argue..
>> why didn't you install glusterfs as part of qemu yum install itself ?
>>
>> Expecting user (who may or may not be glsuter/virt. aware) to install
>> addnl rpm to use qemu gluster might not work always.
>>
>>  Who will inform user to install glusterfs when things fail at runtime ?
>>

>  Your view is in direct contradiction with the view of those who objected
> the dependency to start with :-) I think this question needs to be
> reconciled with the initial reporters.
>

> One more point to note here is that... even if we go with the way you
> suggested, it solves the original problem but brings in another as I stated
> above. People forgetting to install glusterfs would end up in qemu runtime
> error which i feel is even worse. So your re-pkg doesn't end the problem
> afaics :) It just moves the problem to a diff. place at a diff. time :)

You're probably right. Also given the fact that the objections died out
after Kaleb did the explaining, I'm not sure if we need to do any more
changes (and leave the dependency as-is)?

Avati