[Gluster-devel] Proposal for Gluster 3.5: Better peer identification

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:10:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Kaushal M <kshlmster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> We recently had a mailing list discussion about the current problems
> with peer identification and handling multiple networks. This proposal
> is regarding better identification of peers.
>
> Currently, the way we identify peers is not consistent all through the
> gluster code. We use uuids internally and hostnames externally. This
> setup works pretty well when all the peers are on a single network,
> have one address, and are referred to in all the gluster commands with
> same address. But once we start mixing up addresses in the commands
> (ip, shortnames, fqdn) and bring in multiple networks we have
> problems.
>
> The problems were discussed in the following mailing list threads and
> some solutions were proposed.
>  - How do we identify peers? [1]
>  - RFC - "Connection Groups" concept [2]
>
> The solution to the multi-network problem is dependent on the solution
> to the peer identification problem. So it'll be good to target fixing
> the peer identification problem asap, ie. in 3.5 , and take up the
> networks problem later.
>
> Thoughts?

Thanks for the proposal Kaushal. This is a welcome change. It will be great
to have all internal identifiers for peers to happen through UUID and get
translated into a host/IP at the most superficial layer. There are open
issues around node crash + re-install with same IP (but new UUID) which
needs to be addressed in this effort.

Avati