[Gluster-devel] Proposal for 3.5: Make adding custom translators easy

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 19:17:44 UTC 2013

On 12/08/2013, at 7:44 PM, Jay Vyas wrote:
>  i like the install file idea.  packaging always seems easier and memorizing CLI magic seems like another feature which would lend itself more to forcing devs to read documentation to get it working correctly.  The deployment via packaging is always easier to modify and learn on the fly

Yeah, it's appealing more to me as well, the more I think
about it. :)

Not sure what the structure of the accompanying meta-data
file (likely XML) would need to be.

Something like this might work, and also let the translator
be applied to several volumes (if needed), with options
set per volume:

<translator>
  <name>mycustomone</name>
  <type>server</name>
  <volumes>
    <volume>
      <name>examplevolume</name>
      <following>marker</following>
      <options>
        <option>
          <name>myfirstoption</name>
          <value>true</value>
        </option>
        <option>
          <name>mynextoption</name>
          <value>false</value>
        </option>
      </options>
    </volume>
    <volume>
      <name>examplevolume2</name>
      <following>marker</following>
      <options>
        <option>
          <name>myfirstoption</name>
          <value>true</value>
        </option>
        <option>
          <name>mynextoption</name>
          <value>true</value>
        </option>
      </options>
    </volume>
  </volume>
</translator>

Might also need a <filename> tag in there, but I'm more
inclined to not have it, just using a convention of:

  * [filename].so/.py, matches [filename].xml

How's that sounding?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--