[Gluster-devel] What does features/index xlator do? Can I move indices dir for online servers to avoid xfs shutdown

符永涛 yongtaofu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 05:33:36 UTC 2013

Dear Amar and glusterfs experts,

We use glusterfs 3.3.

xfs related debug info can be found in the following two thread.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/xfs/msg17893.html

The xfs shutdown due to potential racing unlink in xfs kernel on the
following files:
directory ./glusterfs/indices/xattrop
and files under this directory
The racing cause xfs unlinked list memory corrupt and then xfs shutdown.
You can see the significant heavy remove/link pattern on a single
inode int the following kernel trace.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7n2C4T5tfNCTlZGUVpnZENrZ3M/edit?usp=sharing
finally
<...>-6908  [001]  8739.967623: xfs_iunlink: dev 8:16 ino 0x83a8b mode
0100000, flags 0x0
<...>-6909  [001]  8739.970252: xfs_iunlink: dev 8:16 ino 0x83a8b mode
0100000, flags 0x0

0x83a8b and 0x1b20b both hash to unlinked list bucket 11.
the shutdown then happens because of corrupt unlinked list.

Now we move the indices directory out of xfs volume to an ext4 volume and
the crash not happens again.
This issue always happen when we rebalance glusterfs volumes(for example to
growth the cluster).
The worst case ever happened is one day 8 of our servers xfs shutdown at
the same time.
The xfs experts is now working on this and before there're any progresses I
also want to ask help and sugesstions from you.
Thank you very much.

--
符永涛