[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS projects page for GSOC and the likes

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Wed Apr 24 07:53:36 UTC 2013

Hi Shishir,

I'm trying to build a tool able to restore full integrity to any kind of
gluster volume. The repairing will start at brick level and go up to the
full volume.

Currently, the main idea is to begin with a local repair of each brick,
which means to check that every single file and directory have the
appropriate xattrs (basically gfid) and are correctly linked into
.glusterfs directory. In this stage any inconsistency, duplicated gfid,
bad structure inside .glusterfs and some other errors are tested and
reported. When possible, these inconsistencies will be corrected.

After that, there will be more stages depending on the kind of volume to
repair. I plan to handle replicated and distributed volumes. On each of
these stages there will be two main operations:

1. Analyze the xattrs and file information collected during the previous
repairing stage and perform all possible checks and repairs.
2. Cross check data from previous stages to help repair unsolved
problems on those stages (for example use information from one brick of
a replica to repair brick-level inconsistencies on the other brick, like
missing or inconsistent gfid, duplications, ...).

It will also report as warnings things that are not problems by
themselves but can have a performance impact, like linked files between
bricks on a distributed volume. Optionally these things will be
corrected by gfsck.

As an optional feature, it will be possible to take a standard volume
with data and "glusterize" it to get a healthy brick (adding xattrs,
.glusterfs structure, ...).

I have implemented some of these tests as independent small programs (no
automatic correcting yet). I need to integrate and optimize them to be
really useful, and implement some correction strategies. I'm also
planning to use some kind of user interface to solve problems where it
is hard or impossible to automatically choose the best alternative.

I use the libglusterfs.so to scan the volume files, and to use other
helper functions (like the hashing used in dht). However I don't use all
the xlator infrastructure to do the healing.

The gfsck could run with the volume mounted but it won't make any
correction, only checks. To do any corrections it will need to run in
offline mode.

If needed I can post some details about the type of errors detected on
each stage.

Best regards,

Xavi

Al 24/04/13 07:55, En/na Shishir Gowda ha escrit: