[Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hooks)

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 20 10:32:23 UTC 2012

Regret the immense delay in responding... i was busy travelling and
other things.. hence couldn't reply any earlier.

On 10/08/2012 04:55 PM, Krishnan Parthasarathi wrote:

> [...]

For me, somethign running on in the bakcground for my volume event w/o
me authorizing or knowing is a security issue :)

>> Won't it be better to have volume itself control whether or not hooks
>> are enabled for itself ? A volume set ... option maybe ?
>> Volume creation, set and other stuff are done by Storage admin, so
>> its
>> more trustworthy to control things from there, I feel.
> It would be good to have a volume option which decides whether or not
> to run hook scripts for events of the volume. For create event we may
> need to rely on a global option (viz applicable for all volumes) to
> decide whether or not we run hook scripts on the volume that is being
> created.

Thanks for agreeing.

> To clarify, the above mechanism doesn't make things more trustworthy.
> It only gives storage admins more control on which volumes' events
> trigger hook scripts.

Well 'trustworthy' is subjective... depends on how you see it.
Again for me, allowing this control makes the entire stuff more
trustful, since I can control what i want and what i don't want.

>> It would also help if we need to disable the hook for a volume for a
>> small period of time, and enable it again, otherwise in the current
>> method hook would always run.
> Hook scripts run only once when an event occurs for any volume. Of course,
> this can be controlled from the script side as well. The script could
> store (persistently), a list of volumes it wants to be applicable to.
>
>> In VDSM hooks, its controllable on a per VM basis by using a custom
>> arg/param... hence user knows what he/she is doing when using hooks.
>>

> Would you like to submit a patch that would allow user to control
> the running of hooks on a volume? All of hooks related code is
> present in glusterd-hooks.[ch].

I can try, but can't commit anythign right now, due to other work
pressure. If you think this is good, pls go ahead and update the feature
page .. maybe a TODO ?
Or do you want me to open a BZ for this ?