[Gluster-devel] Remote volume listing

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 16:28:53 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 10:55 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> On 11/19/2012 10:47 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
>> You can get the list with the 'gluster' command from the glusterfs-server package:
>>
>> # gluster --remote-host=storage-01.example.com volume list
>>
>> or if you prefer parsing XML:
>>
>> # gluster --xml --remote-host=storage-01.example.com volume list
>>
>> There is no need for the client system to be in the peer-list of the storage
>> servers, so it is pretty straight forward.
>
> It doesn't need to be in the peer list, but it does need to have the
> gluster-server package installed (one reason I think the CLI should be separate
> BTW).  Also, it's even less secure than the ssh solution.

I'm inclined to think that the Swift UFO server — which is the client in
this case — would be in the same private, firewalled network with the
rest of the gluster storage nodes.

If that's the case then perhaps I would be less concerned that the
gluster CLI is insecure or that the Swift UFO server is in a peer-list
on the storage servers or that someone is using keys with nil passwords.

I do like using the gluster cli instead of ssh in this situation, and
installing the gluster-server package on the Swift UFO node isn't too
burdensome. In fact to facilitate it we probably ought to make
glusterfs-server a dependency for the *-plugin RPM to make it even easier.

--

Kaleb