[Gluster-devel] RFC on fix to bug #802414

Anand Avati aavati at redhat.com
Tue May 22 07:11:36 UTC 2012

<in continuation from our chat>

The PARENT_DOWN_HANDLED approach will take us backwards from the current
state where we are resiliant to frame losses and other class of bugs
(i.e, if a frame loss happens on either server or client, it only
results in prevented graph cleanup but the graph switch still happens).

The root "cause" here is that we are giving up on a very important and
fundamental principle of immutability on the fd object. The real
solution here is to never modify fd->inode. Instead we must bring about
a more native fd "migration" than just re-opening an existing fd on the
new graph.

Think of the inode migration analogy. The handle coming from FUSE (the
address of the object) is a "hint". Usually the hint is right, if the
object in the address belongs to the latest graph. If not, using the
GFID we resolve a new inode on the latest graph and use it.

In case of FD we can do something similar, except there are not GFIDs
(which should not be a problem). We need to make the handle coming from
FUSE (the address of fd_t) just a hint. If the
fd->inode->table->xl->graph is the latest, then the hint was a HIT. If
the graph was not the latest, we look for a previous migration
attempt+result in the "base" (original) fd's context. If that does not
exist or is not fresh (on the latest graph) then we do a new fd
creation, open on new graph, fd_unref the old cached result in the fd
context of the "base fd" and keep ref to this new result. All this must
happen from fuse_resolve_fd(). The setting of the latest fd and updation
of the latest fd pointer happens under the scope of the base_fd->lock()
which gives it a very clear and unambiguous scope which was missing with
the old scheme.

[The next step will be to nuke the fd->inode swapping in fuse_create_cbk]

Avati