[Gluster-devel] Fuse operations

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu May 10 13:58:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:55:55 +1000
"Ian Latter" <ian.latter at midnightcode.org> wrote:

>   So, I guess;
>     1) Are all Fuse/FS ops handled by Gluster?
>     2) Where can I find a complete list of the
>          Gluster fops, and not just those that have
>          been used in existing modules?

GlusterFS operations for a translator are all defined in an xlator_fops
structure.  When building translators, it can also be convenient to
look at the default_xxx and default_xxx_cbk functions for each fop you
implement.  Also, I forgot to mention in my comments on your "hide"
translator that you can often use the default_xxx_cbk callback when you
call STACK_WIND, instead of having to define your own trivial one.

FUSE operations are listed by the fuse_opcode enum.  You can check for
yourself how closely this matches our list.  They do have a few ops of
their own, we have a few of their own, and a few of theirs actually map
to our xlator_cbks instead of xlator_fops.  The points of
non-correspondence seem to be interrupt, bmap, poll and ioctl.  Maybe
Csaba can elaborate on what we do (or plan to do) about these.

>     3) Is it safe to path match on loc_t? (i.e. is
>          it fully resolved such that I won't find
>          /etc/././././passwd)?  This I could test ..

Name/path resolution is an area that has changed pretty recently, so
I'll let Avati or Amar field that one.