[Gluster-devel] Versioning

Anand Babu Periasamy abperiasamy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 23:11:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM, John Mark Walker <johnmark at redhat.com>wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it's file versioning, but I'll get one of the devs to fill
> out a feature template to provide more explanation.
>
> -JM
>
> ----- Fred van Zwieten <fvzwieten at vxcompany.com> wrote:
> > On the planning34<http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Planning34>page I see in the nice-to-have section "Versioning". Can someone explain to
> me what is meant by that? Is there a wiki page for the proposal?
>

> We are seeking a type of versioning functionality like a multi version
> filesystem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioning_file_system>, where a
> translator writes the previous version of a file out to some location
> (other brick) when the file is about to change. This is because we have a
> very low change rate, but need to keep the old version available for a long
> time if a change does happen. Files do get moved around in directory
> structures, but almost never changed.

I added a note on roadmap page. Versioning idea started out of
"Continuous Data Protection" requirement. Originally we thought we will
implement versionng similar to geo-rep feature, where the remote volume
holds change sets (like continuous rdiff-backup). Now I am leaning towards
git based versioning. Integrate git into GlusterFS to track changes on
specified events (timer, file-close, dir-tree-modify..). We may not do this
via translator interface, but through the newly proposed simple event/timer
interface.

-ab

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
#abperiasamy

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein