[Gluster-devel] Versioning

Fred van Zwieten fvzwieten at vxcompany.com
Wed Jul 25 08:42:22 UTC 2012

On the planning34<http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Planning34>page
I see in the nice-to-have section "Versioning". Can someone explain to
me what is meant by that? Is there a wiki page for the proposal?

We are seeking a type of versioning functionality like a multi version
filesystem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioning_file_system>, where a
translator writes the previous version of a file out to some location
(other brick) when the file is about to change. This is because we have a
very low change rate, but need to keep the old version available for a long
time if a change does happen. Files do get moved around in directory
structures, but almost never changed.