[Gluster-devel] Question on Geo-Replication

Pitichai Pitimaneeyakul pitichai at 2-cans.com
Mon Jul 23 12:39:36 UTC 2012

Hi Vijaykumar,
Thank you for quick response. :)

This is what happen in Our Lab. We are setting as below with Gluster
3.3.0 on Debian

Server-C (company location) <=== AFR over WAN ===> { Server-A(ISP) ==Geo
Replication over LAN ==> Server-B(ISP) }

I have configure geo replication for Volume (Vol01) which is created by
Server-C brick and Server-A brick as AFR to A volume (Vol02) from
Server-B's brick.
The Vol01 have some data in side.

After I ran "gluster volume geo-replication Vol01 serverB:Vol02 start",
It starts replicating but some data under sub directories did not get
replicated.
I have the data set look like this
data (Vol01)
  |-- atest01.txt
  |-- atest01.mp3
  |-- home
  |   `-- users
  |       |-- index.html
  |       `-- somchai
  |           |-- files
  |           |   `-- test.mp3
  |-- test01.txt
  |-- test01.mp3

On the replication is look like

Vol02
  |-- atest01.txt
  |-- atest01.mp3
  |-- home
  |   `-- users
  |-- test01.txt
  |-- test01.mp3

Not all the data and directory structure under /data are replicated,
everything look OK except the data under /data/home/users/ is not
appear. Even I try to copy some new file into /home/user/somchai directory.
However, I backed up data and recreated Vol01, Vol02 volume with same
configure of replication. I copied data from backup to Vol01, and the
replication is correct and complete on Vol02 with full directory tree.
If there any thing about preexisting data with geo-replication ?

As Gluster troubleshooting guide said how to enforce full
geo-replication by erasing index (page 115, section 14.2.3), and restart
geo-replication but I don't see anything mention about erasing indexing
in "Tuning Volume Options" as the document said.I would like to confirm
the operation of erasing index is "set geo-replication.index=off" or
remove ".glusterfs" under Vol01 and Vol02.

For the log file, I will see I can retrieve it or someone already delete
them.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Pitichai