[Gluster-devel] useless if-before-free and no-semantic-change patches

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Thu Jul 12 07:22:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've submitted a change to remove all useless-if-before-free-like
functions (so far free, FREE, GF_FREE -- are there others?).
Currently I've separated it into change-sets as follows:

      remove useless-if-before-free
      remove useless-if-before-free -- with-braces
      no semantic change: reverse condition and if/else clauses...
      remove useless-if-before-GF_FREE
      remove useless-if-before-GF_FREE -- with-braces
      remove useless-if-before-FREE
      remove useless-if-before-FREE -- with-braces

The with/without braces is slightly artificial, due to the
way the script works, so it would make sense to merge those
pairs.  I've put the sole manual change in the third change set.
That was required in order to keep the script from introducing
a syntax error in the 4th c-set.

In fact, while it's handy for review/rebase/regen to keep them in
separate c-sets, I'd be happy to merge the 6 automatically-induced
c-sets into one, if desired.  Let me know.

Also, for a change like this that is mostly stylistic,
(sort of like dead-code elimination), is it appropriate
to use the static-analysis BUG: number, or is there another one?

Thanks,

Jim