[Gluster-devel] Introducing #gluster-dev

John Mark Walker johnmark at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 19:52:45 UTC 2012

Greetings, Grasscutters:

There are signs of growth all around us. One of which is that we are beginning to outgrow some of our infrastructure services, including our gluster.org web host, documentation wiki, and even our IRC channel. The first two require longer-term solutions and will be fleshed out in more detail at the appropriate time; this email is about the latter.

These are good problems to have - it means that the footprint of the Gluster community continues to grow, but we will have some growing pains as we transition to services that can readily deal with the onslaught of new users and developers. In this case, as we have a growing number of public IRC discussions about development on and with GlusterFS, we need a separate place for those discussions, much like we have separate mailing lists for those discussions. With that, we have created #gluster-dev on freenode as the developers' channel on IRC. This is where you'll discuss contributing code, working with translators/extensions and integrating GlusterFS with other technologies, ie. QEMU, OpenStack Swift, CloudStack, Hadoop, et al.

You'll find a veritable bevy engineers and interested parties there, although it will take some time for it to ramp up in activity.

Thanks for reading this PSA.

Kindly,
JM