[Gluster-devel] Initial Wireshark dissector available for testing and accepting contributions

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 22:42:09 UTC 2012

Hi all,

on https://github.com/nixpanic/gluster-wireshark you can find the
first results of a dissector for Wireshark. The work is in very early
stages and only tested with Wireshark-1.4.10 on RHEL6 (well, tshark
actually).

At the moment, quite some Gluster RPC packets are detected. The
RPC-program, procedure and version should be displayed correctly.
There is no implementation of dissecting the contents of the payload
yet.

Some instructions to get the Wireshark sources and the patches applied
can be found on
https://github.com/nixpanic/gluster-wireshark/blob/master/README.wireshark.
If there is enough functionality, I will be able to provide RPMs for
testing (Fedora and RHEL versions) and get some more feedback before
sending it upstream to the Wireshark devs.

This is a little hobby/side-project of mine, so development will not
go very fast. If you feel like helping out, drop me a line or send me
some patches. The code should contain clear comments that should help
you on your way.

Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks,
Niels